Skip the expensive pine nuts and basil that usually go into making pesto. This recipe uses walnuts and spinach. And, it tastes really good.
Spinach Walnut Pesto
- 1 C chicken broth
- 10-oz baby spinach
- 2/3 C Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt, pepper to taste
- 4-oz walnuts, chopped
- Heat 1 C chicken broth to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Using food processor, work in batches to grind spinach, nuts, chicken stock and garlic.
- Transfer to a bowl. Stir in cheese and olive oil. Taste. Then season with salt and pepper if needed.
Pesto is usually made with cheese, but you can leave it out.
Freezing Pesto: Don’t add the Parmesan cheese in the final mix. It freezes better. Add the cheese after frozen pesto is thawed out.
Other uses for pesto: • spread on a roasted-vegetable sandwich • stir into vegetable soup • thin with water and vinegar for a salad dressing • mix with mayonnaise to make a dip for vegetables • stir into mashed potato • use as pizza sauce
I believe I got this recipe from Rachael Ray’s site.