Back in the summer a local grocery store was selling mangos for 50¢ each. I stocked up. When I got home, I peeled the mangos and removed the pulp. Then I froze them individually, each in its own plastic wrapping. I wanted to be able to have fresh mango at an economical price later on in the year.
I use mango in many dishes. Here is one of my favorite mango drinks. Although this recipe is not especially sweet –add more honey or sugar if you like it sweeter–it’s great on summer hot days, especially after breaking one’s fast.
Mango Aqua Fresco
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon honey, more or less to taste (can also use sugar)
- Lime wedge and mint leaves for garnish
- Blend mango and water until smooth.
- Strain into glasses.
- Stir in lime and sweetener.
- Add ice.
- Decorate with lime and mint.
Recipe Source: Whole Foods