I had an elementary school teacher who used to give out little squares of those Hershey bars as treats to us students. I tried my best to behave and do my work in her class! I got addicted to chocolate but at least I passed the first grade!
I found a brownie recipe that is so chocolaty & really easy to make. As a matter of fact, if you’re feeling bored some day, you could make up several batches of the dry ingredients and store them in glass jars in the fridge. That way, when you want brownies, half the work is already done.
I had to modify the recipe a little bit (you know me). I sprinkled my changes and baking tips throughout the recipe. Oh yeah! Here’s a picture:
1¾ cups ground almonds [grind well being careful not to turn it into a paste]
½ cup sifted raw cacao or unsweetened cocoa
1/3 cup sliced almonds [I skipped this b/c I don’t like nuts in my brownies]
2, 1-oz squares unsweetened chocolate, chopped into small pieces
½ tsp baking soda
2 tbsp flax seeds, ground (see note below)
6 tbsp boiling water
1 large egg
1 cup coconut milk
½ cup coconut oil, melted [I used olive oil]
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice (can use lime juice if you don’t have lemon)
12-15 drops stevia liquid extract [I used 1/2 C sugar]
Note: if you don’t have any flax seeds then add another egg and 2tbsp of water instead of the flax seed and water mix.
Preheat oven: 350°F
1. Line an 11″ x 7″ baking pan with non-stick baking paper. I used aluminum foil. It peeled off nicely once the brownies cooled.
2. Put the following in a bowl and combine well: almonds (ground and sliced), cocoa/cacao, chocolate pieces, baking soda and salt.
3. Add the boiling water to the ground flax seeds and mix together, set aside. Note: if you don’t have any flax seeds then add another egg and 2tbsp of water instead of the flax seed and water mix. [I did not use the flax seeds]
4. Mix the following ingredients in its own bowl until well combined: coconut milk, melted coconut oil, vanilla, lemon juice and stevia together, egg, flax mix or eggs+water.
5. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Mix until everything is combined thoroughly.
6. Pour batter into the baking pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes. After 40 mins check the brownie. Insert a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean or is just a little sticky then it’s done. If it’s very sticky then leave in oven for another few minutes before trying again. Don’t overcook, it’s better for the brownie to be slightly sticky than dry.
7. Remove brownie from oven. Let cool in baking pan for 30 mins. Then remove from pan. I put wax paper on top of the pan, then put a chopping mat on top of the pan and turned the brownies out onto the mat. Slice into 16 pieces. I used a pizza cutter for this; It’s quick.
Store brownies in an airtight container in the fridge to keep it fresh.